Friday, February 03, 2006

Workout crap that I ordered

I tend to consider most large exercise machines a waste of money. They tend to be really expensive, and all the new research seems to suggest that dynamic pylometric workouts are a better way to build strength and prevent injury anyway. I suppose if you're a powerlifter or football player you need to have some heavy weights, but the heaviest thing us ultimate players need to lift is ourselves. If I were going to get a big machine I suppose I might spring for a Nordictrack - they give a good full-body cardio workout, and my dad's has survived 20 years of regular use.

But for now, I've just ordered a bunch of random stuff from bodytrends.com, a pretty well-stocked fitness equipment website. Crap I bought:

- A large (75 cm) inflatable ball. Useful for stretching and for some core exercises. Also, I'm sitting on it right now. A hell of a lot cheaper than an Aeron.

- A 5/16" thick workout mat. It wasn't cheap ($47) but it's amazing how much less impact I feel when I do the Air Alert jumping exercises on this mat.

- Some of those stretchy rubber bands to do strength work with. Also handy for all sorts of rehab exercises.

- A 10 pound rubber medicine ball. I need to look up some workouts to use with this (the Rival guys mention one possible source). I also currently lack a nice spot to throw it against, although once it gets a little warmer I guess I could throw it against the brick wall of my garage in the back yard.

I also picked up some random stuff from local sporting goods stores, like jump rope and tennis balls to do hand workouts with and those portable handle things that help me do push-ups and back bridges without stressing my wrists.

Anyway, hope that planted some useful ideas in somebody out there.

Comments:
The Core Performance book doesn't have any medicine ball exercises, the physioball workouts are for the inflatable balls. I do have another post that talks about medicine ball exercises: http://rivaltraining.blogspot.com/2005/12/medicine-ballplyo-workout.html

I'd like to get a Nordictrack too, Jim over at Lean and Hungry fitness raved about his.
 
Good stuff - thanks wood.
 
poor wrists!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?