Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Random thoughts for (first day of work week)

- Remember when I said my basement was finally done? Irony, thy name is a burst pipe. We noticed after a couple hours Monday morning and shut the water off, but even with the pump pushing water out, most of the carpet was FUBAR. Back to concrete floors for the next couple days. Fortunately, the tide stopped short of my computer, and the drywall was still dry. We're very lucky that we couldn't find a hotel room in the mountains Sunday night, or we would have lost a lot more than a carpet.

- For the RSD afficionados among us, Hector's latest post is pure gold. A brilliant synthesis of the Onion's advice columns and the insanity of RSD. I actually remembered all the posts referenced, which made it all the better. Of course, rec.sport.disc is pretty much the motherlode of people saying stupid, indefensible things. (No offense to Hope college, that was just the first one that came to mind. I mean, that was a team that finished third in their SECTION with a full roster.)

- Does anyone still like going to movie theaters? I think they suck horrendously. Planning your day around the movie, dealing with the traffic and the lines, getting a shitty seat and/or sitting through 15 minutes of commercials, paying through the nose for lousy food/drinks, dealing with the obnoxious people around you, not being able to pause to take a piss or blow your nose... how is this even remotely comparable to the experience of watching a DVD at home on even a reasonably good home theater setup? Or just on a regular TV, even? There are very, very few movies that I would not wait three months for in order to see it at home, if left to my own devices.

I hope everybody enjoyed President's day - more than I did anyway. Back to more useful thoughts tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?